A housing authority is responsible for the management and operation of its local public housing program. They may also operate other types of housing programs.
- Assure compliance with leases. The lease must be signed by both parties.
- Set other charges (e.g., security deposit, excess utility consumption, and damages to unit).
- Perform periodic reexaminations of the family's income at least once every 12 months.
- Transfer families from one unit to another, in order to correct over/under crowding, repair or renovate a dwelling, or because of a resident's request to be transferred.
- Terminate leases when necessary.
- Maintain the development in a decent, safe, and sanitary condition.
Sometimes housing authorities provide other services, that might include such things as: homeownership opportunities for qualified families; employment training opportunities, and other special training and employment programs for residents; and support programs for the elderly.
Forest City Housing Authority manages and oversees three residential housing communities to meet the needs of the residents of our area.